The dress and rings are purchased, the venue is booked, the dreamy honeymoon is scheduled…and your upcoming wedding could not look more perfect! While many of us enjoy and genuinely look forward to our wedding day, and even the idea of being married, too often we fail to consider planning for our marriage like we do for our wedding day.
Maybe you’ve only heard of pre-marital counseling as something offered (or sometimes required) through the church or pastor/clergy who will be performing your wedding, and perhaps you’ve assumed it’s just not something your relationship needs. At Marriage & Family Counseling Center (MFCC) we believe forming healthy relationship patterns begins even before marriage, regardless of how long a couple has been together.
“Couples with premarital education reported higher levels of marital satisfaction and experienced a 30 percent decline in the likelihood of divorce over five years.” – Journal of Family Psychology Survey
We offer pre-marital counseling for couples looking to give their marriage a boost from the beginning. We like to think of pre-marital counseling as a plan for the inevitable bumps in the road, a way to increase those positive interactions you already have with your partner or spouse, and a great opportunity to discover new things about your partner. Here are just some of the benefits to your relationship when you choose to invest in pre-marital counseling:
- Help you create a deeper sense of understanding and awareness of your partner and your relationship. You’ll learn the strengths, dynamics, personalities and backgrounds that make up the DNA of each partner
- Help identify the expectations that each partner is bringing into the marriage
- Define possible areas of conflict and develop healthy skills to resolve conflict early in the relationship
- Create a plan of action for tackling any major issues that may arise in the future
- Increase your skills to communicate effectively with your partner. It’s no secret that strong communication is key to any healthy relationship, so learning these skills early in your relationship will help you avoid pitfalls later
- Give you skills and significantly increase your odds of preventing divorce.
Schedule pre-marital counseling sessions
Learn more about a tailored approach we offer for pre-marital counseling called Prepare-Enrich